Thursday 2 January 2014

PPP2 Research: Co Op Games

This is one thing that has been bothering me for a while now, that there aren't enough co op campaign games. Apart from the obvious shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield, it is very difficult to find anything interesting.

Personally I do not want to play military games that recreate things you would do in the army, if I was I would go do the real thing and not waste my time. What I want in a co op game is something not many games can provide. I want great games like Spyro, both Batman's and other action/adventure games to provide co op. But not in a seperate place.

Many games now have started to acknowledge that people do want to be playing with there friends, so they introduce online... Not only do I not want to be using all of my internet bandwidth in one day, but I have no interest in playing with strangers online. So they introduce co op maps... places where you can play in the same room as room as someone, finally! But they only make 3 or 4 maps... why?!

The solution is very simple... co op campaigns. I know not all games can do this, and don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing single player games when I don't feel like interacting with other humans, but I feel there should be more two player, or even up to 4 player campaigns in gaming. Army of Two is an excellent example of a game that has been perfectly designed for a co op experience as there are always two characters present, which gives off the vibe... if there are always two characters on the screen during the game, there should be the option to play co op... because why not!?

Says The Last of Us with it's always having two or more characters present but not being a co op game... grumble, grumble...

No comments:

Post a Comment