Tuesday 14 January 2014

VFX Post Production: Creating the Tyrannosaurus Rex

Due to the fact that I had to change mu idea towards the end of the project I had to think of how my film was now going to end. I knew I didn't have a lot of time left so I wanted to go with an idea that was relatively simple and easy to model, so I decided to go with a Tyrannosaurus Rex. I didn't really like this idea all that much as it was a disappointment for me not to be able to model and rig the velociraptor but time just ran away with me completely. I thought about a couple of ways in which I could pull this off but I found the best way was to use the T-Rex preset on Mudbox, as this meant the basic shape had already been mapped out for me; all I had to do was add in the necessary details to make it my own.

As I had already revised my ending I knew that the T-Rex was going to stand down on my character; thus ending the film. So luckily for me - this meant that I only had to model the foot, and even better the back of it as this is how I filmed the alternate ending previous.

I started by watching a basic tutorial so that I could get started in Mudbox, which happened to be a video using the same preset as well, which was good for me. I followed this basic beginners guide which took me through the different brushes like the sculpting and bulge tool and then also the stamps and stencils as well that can be used to create different textures. Once I had been through the basics I started to model my T-Rex, using a number of reference images from the internet to be able to get the muscle structure and features of the ankle and lower leg, using my main source of information from Jurassic Park. I really liked the look of it once I had finished modelling and I finished off the look by adding this gravel-like texture onto it as to produce an interesting scaley looking effect.





Next I went back to the tutorial video to begin to look at paint effects and how I can add colour into my model. I had previously began to look at paint effects at the beginning of my project when I played around with the tree stump, but I found that watching the video in more detail helped me gain further knowledge on the subject and create a better application of it in the future.

I started by giving my T-Rex an overall colour to get the base done to begin with. I chose this dark green to begin with as this colour will eventually be under all the others but still come through slightly to give it that greeny tinge to it. 


I then started to use different paint layers to build up the process of colour onto my model using browns, yellows and then darker browns to create the muddy colour of the legs. I really like how it turned out in the end and can see how it can be used in my final film to stamp down on my character. I have ensured that it includes all the necessary detail to look really good once its in my film as I needed to make it look as photo realistic as possible.





No comments:

Post a Comment