Monday 18 May 2015

Personal and Professional Practice 3: 'Position' Studio Brief - Showreel/Trailer

For our end of year show and Games Republic we have to have a really high quality show reel and it got me thinking about how I could do this for my work and most recent game. I wanted to ensure I had a really strong show reel showing off all my work that I am proud of over the past three years. I started by looking at these show reel tips to see what the best way to create a show reel is, it gave me some really helpful tips to how to keep the audience engaged with it and keep them wanting that little bit more. (Link)

I then wanted to have a look at what kind of reels other gamers are using to display there works and there aren't really that many exciting ones out there, especially on sites like YouTube. They tend to be rather boring walk through's of the environment and the others are like the one below. They are okay and show what needs to be shown like the difference of before and after textures are added and this could be done with lighting as well as a different state. But it can be a little bit boring and I wanted to produce something a little bit more exciting and different for mine, showing off everything that I can produce.


Here is mine below, I have tried to keep it short and too the point, it shows off the environments that I have created in the past till now and also the extra bits that I have designed over the years along with characters on turntables as well to get a good variety of things. I wanted this to be exciting and short and be really engaging for an audience to watch and I feel that I have done this with my show reel below.

For our game, that we are going to be taking to Games Republic and showing at the end of year show, I decided that a trailer would be more appropriate so I watched through old game trailers to get an idea about how it should play out to be able to get a good idea about how to do ours. In the example below it shows the original trailer for Crash Bandicoot: Warped. This is a really good example as it is very similar to others that came out around the same time and gives away a bit of the story at the same time as showing off some of the game play and that about it, but it works well and this is the approach that we're going to go for as well.

Below is then mine and Sophie's trailer for our game that we will be showing at Games Republic and the end of year show. The trailer is inspired from games in the 90s and their trailers and hopefully shows off the different levels that we created in the game as well as the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment